The Ilzenberg manor was founded in 1515 by Berndt Kerssenbrock, a vassal of the Order of Livonia. He owned 615 ha of land and 2,234 ha of land with peasants. Historical documentation of the port of Riga suggests that the Ilzenberg Manor was engaged in economic activities even back then. B.Kerssenbrock, through the port of Riga, traded grains, butter, tar, spices, and other farming products.
There is anything known about the Ilzenberg manor's first landlord, German noblemen Kerssenbrocks. However, there is evidence that the manor’s infrastructure, in essence, was not different from estates typical for Livonia and Northeast Lithuania of those days, which consisted of a dwelling house (palace) and outbuildings: stables, stack yard, barn, smokehouse, shed, icehouse, creamery, and bathhouse.
During the period of 1863-1896, the Ilzenberg manor was managed by Fuchs. He rebuilt the manor, which remained virtually unchanged to this day.
NATURAL FARM “ILZENBERGAS”
Ilzenberg Manor area is not just a park and the manor. People are living here year-round, besides, the first and the largest in the Baltic countries Ilzenberg Manor Farm is operating here in compliance with biodynamic farming principles.
The goal of the “Ilzenbergas” Farm – to become a model of the community-supported biodynamic farm throughout Europe.
The priority of the “Ilzenbergas” Farm – to produce healthy, natural, lovingly grown food both to be consumed by the farm itself and supplied directly to a client.
Foods grown in such a farm will be primarily different by the absence of artificial fertilizers, pesticides, or other additives: in fertilization using manure, mulch, natural rot, and silage. Secondly, the products differ in their composition: they will contain no preservatives, artificial colours, flavour enhancers, substitutes, or any other additives used for food sold in retails chains. Third, this food is energetic, man-produced with love and devotion.