The Plungė manor has been mentioned since 1565. The governors of Plungė manor kept chnging from the 16th century, this landhilding remained an important residence of aristocrats, clergymm, talented culture and art creators unlit the early 20th century. Plungė and all landholdings were sold to count Platon Zubov in 1806. In 1873, the Zubov familysold the manor to the duke Mykolas Oginskis. The duke built the curren-day manor in the northern art of the park. The building was designed by a German arcitect Karl Lorenz. The manor was solemnly blessed in 1879. The central building was built in neo-renaissance style which was fashion at the time. Ffrom then on Plungė Manor had its heyday.
Continuing musical traditions of the Oginskai family, the duke established an orchestra school in the manor where the famous Lithuanian painter and composer Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis studied.
The famous Plungė park was established at around the moddle of the eighteenth century. The area of the park is about 143 acres (apx. 0.6 km2).
Oak of the Thunder God
In the borders of the manor park, grows a huge oak, called the oak of the Thunder God, or Perkūnas in Lithuaniaa, from ancient pagan beliefs. Legend tells that priestess Galinda stoked a sacred fire near this oak. One day her lover went forth to war against the Crusaders to defend his homeland nation. Sadly, he never returned. The chief priest, seeing Galinda's tears and heartache, began to teach her that only a sacred fire can quench her earthly pain. Once, when Galnda wes weeping under the oak, a thunded struck the tree. Oak shook greatly, some soil has poured into its trunk- and soon the flower of incredible beauty has sprouted out of the trunk of the oak. Since then people started to call it on behalf of Thunder God. Some believe that the huge oak thta grows in the park is the same one from the legend. It was declared a National Monument.
Samogitian Art Museum (Žemaičiai Art Museum)
The Samogitian Art Museum (Žemaičiai Art Museum) operating in Mykolas Oginskis Palace since 1994 has collected and exhibited museum valuables reflecting the historical variety of the Samogitina region, and has preserved and cherihed the traditions of Mykolas Oginskis Manor. Expositions invite the visitors to learn about the pieces of the 20th-21st century professional fine arts which were granted to the museum by the Samogitian artists living in Lithuania and abroad.