That was the first and the only stonework castle of the Teutonic Order, built in the present territory of Lithuania. In 1252 the crusaders built here the first wooden castle, however the next year, after the attack of Lithuanians and Sembai, the base for the stonework castle were set near the castle. It was built on the land of Curonians, which belonged to Livonian branch of Teutonic Order, but in the 1328 was given to the Prussian branch of the Order. The castle was persistently attacked by the Semogitians. During the attack in 1379 the castle was burned, later reconstructed. It was again attacked by the Semogitians in 1393. On the eve of Zalgiris battle, in 1404-1409 the castle was completely reconstructed. After the victory in Zalgiris battle, Vytautas have requested to give Klaipeda to Lithuania. His fighters took the castle over in 1414, but did not make it a lodgment. In 1422 while composing the contract of Meln it was left for the crusaders. Since that time until 1919 Klaipeda have been under authority of the Teutonic Order, Prussia dukedom, and Empire of Germany. Klaipeda was annexed by Lithuania only in 1923. The castle was reconstructed into bastion castle in XVI-XVII. Only the northern part of bastion castle has remained or was partially reconstructed, castle museum has been opened since 2002 in the sally port of the castle (branch of Lithuanian History museum).